Tuesday, September 12, 2006

regurgitating the news



I suppose I regurgitate the news in each of these posts, however, I don't really want Harvard and the Washington Post to do that. If I got paid to write the news, I think I would take the time to publish something worthwhile. Well, for the 5 jillionth time it has been reported that Black American men have mortality rates similar to men in west African countries or so the Wash. Post reported. Harvard School of Public Health reported that both Black men and women in every income bracket die earlier than their white counterparts. However alarming this is, I am kind of numb to this since it has been reported over, over, and over again since 1990. It's almost two decades later and fortunately we all have about the same chance to make it to age 4 and even out of childhood, but after that its every race for themselves.

I have been getting more than a little annoyed at the way we announce our problems, research our problems, and still have the same problems. I (sigh) honestly don't understand why the richest country has the worst infant mortality rates in the developed world. Furthermore, I haven't a clue why we are the only country that can afford to have universal healthcare, but don't. It is absolutely mind boggling to me. I am guessing it goes back to my theory that this American government is just a front for the corporations.

3 Comments:

Blogger cuzzo said...

I agree...

The more I read/listen the more mind boggling it becomes...

I guess that's why most of us just prefer to be ignorant... It's so much easier that way...

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems to me that with as much times as this data has been reported, our community has not taken our health by the horn so to speak or at least be partially responsible for fighting the causes of these problems. The fight for freedom doesn't end with our being able to ride in the front of the bus people! It also gives us the freedom to leave our plantation cuisine on the plantation. We need to cut out the hamhocks, fried food and all the other dreadful stuff that we just love to grease our mouths with. If you watch television(skip BET, UPN and CW) between 9 and 10 and observe how good health habits are packaged for the other folks, you will see why our mortality rates are higher!! It is time we stop bemoaning US corporation and government greed and start looking at our own personal greed!! How much more do we need the government in our lives? Do we really need them to physically take us to the doctor when we are pregnant, cook our meals? You see being passive, throwing up our hands and "numb"ing ourselves to these messages/reports just speaks to our willingness to hand over our lives to someone else to control. Be part of the cure not part of the ignorance contrary to that adage it's sure as hell not bliss.

5:47 AM  
Blogger moks said...

real talk anon.

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home