Sunday, August 20, 2006

defining beauty


Right now this girl genius is doing some research in Brasil. Although, I am supposed to be focussing on science and some neurotoxic effects of something or another, I have been obsessed with trying to understand the social climate here. Before coming here, Brasil looked like a brown person's paradise to me. With a larger retention of African culture than many countries in Africa, the second largest African (or African descendant) population outside of Africa, and that "Beautiful" video shot by Snoop and Pharrell, I knew this must be the place to be. HMMMMM! Well, Brasil most definitely isn't all bad, but its clear that in Rio there are certain race roles. For instance check the image above. Mulata, I mean... for real Brasil. There is a beer called MULATA! WTF!!! So I asked some people at work what the beauty standard was. Then, I asked my portuguese teacher. Then, I watched a video by a very insightful 16 year old about Black American beauty standards. What I found was that this image of Black women or women of African descent being highly sexual is the same in at least two of the three Americas.

The Brasilians immediately said big booty, big breasts, straight hair, hourglass shape, and flat stomach make you beautiful. They didn't specify skin color however. The young lady's documentary said essentially the same thing, except light skinned was preferred. World, I don't know what to make of all this. But, as the blackgirlgenius that I am, I figure its my job to find out what it at least means to me.

Tchau Beleza

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home